Tuesday, December 6, 2011

koru #338

A few months ago, my writing teacher assigned a book about Rwanda. Even the title was brutal: We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families. I knew next to nothing about the Rwandan genocide before reading this book. Now I know more than I probably ever wanted to, but to my teacher's credit, I will never look away again.

These days, the Rwandan "reconciliation" is tenuous at best, but giving what happened over there, it seems like nothing short of a miracle. We can help them along their path of peace by supporting their devastated economy. This Christmas, consider a gift of Rwandan crafts. Shop Azizi Life, The Peace Company, or Macy's.

Fair Winds Trading Rwanda Basket, 12" Spring Swirl Fruit Bowl, available from Macys.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment